Monday, June 10, 2013

Recommended Reading #7

Good Morning!  It's Monday again!

We've got such a busy week coming up at our house.  How about you?

This week I am recommending another one of my favorite books...

THE WELL TRAINED MIND  A Guide to a Classical Education at HOME  by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise

I have read this book several times and I've decided to make it my reading book again for summer.  It really is a book I love.  It has been a tremendous asset to our home school and one I recommend to all homeschooling mamas.



From inside the cover...

This book will instruct you, step by step, on how to give your child an academically rigorous, comprehensive education from preschool through high school - one that will train him or her to read, to think, to understand, to be well rounded and curious about learning.  Veteran home educators Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise outline the classical pattern of education called the trivium, which organizes learning around the maturing capacity of the child's mind and comprises three stages: the elementary school "grammar stage" when the building blocks of information are absorbed through memorization and rules; the middle school "logic stage," in which the student begins to think more analytically; and the high school "rhetoric stage," where the student learns to write and speak with force and originality.  

The Well Trained Mind will help you instruct your child in all levels of reading, writing, history, geography, math, science, foreign language, art, and music.  If you decide to read this book you will be glad you did!

(If you should have questions send them to me via email - 7morans@comcast.net - or in the comment section of this post.  Thanks!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this suggestion. I will order it today! I am getting so excited as I learn more about Classical education. I feel so blessed to get to provide this type of education for my kids. It is soooo much better than the education we received. I am also intimidated by it all, at times. But I know Who is ultimately in charge of our home school. Thanks for passing along wisdom, encouragement and resources to us newbies! Love you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...