Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Getting Started on 2013

During our bible time a few days ago we decided we wanted to set a family goal for 2013.  After much discussion our goal was chosen - to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord.  This comes from Colossians 1:9-10, For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. 

 Yes, this is a tall order but we feel it is a good goal to reach for.  Each of us will be praying and working toward this goal together and we are excited about opportunities for growth.  We want to try to please God in everything we do, we desire to be filled with the knowledge of His will, and we want to bear fruit in 2013.   We wrote our goal with the bible verse in our family prayer notebook and we will refer to it throughout 2013.  This goal applies to every aspect of our lives.  For example I want to please God and walk in a manner worthy of the Lord in my speech and conduct, in the way I treat my husband, and in my attitude.  For our older kids this goal will apply to choosing friends, comments they make on facebook and instagram, and how they spend their time.  For our younger kids they will apply this goal to obeying parents, sharing, what they watch on TV, and so forth.  Our goal and these bible verses will be helpful and serve as a reminder to us as we seek to honor and obey our Lord in 2013.

Do you make New Year Resolutions?  Does your family set goals?  A friend shared with me recently that her family has a meeting on the first day of the new year to discuss plans for the upcoming year and to look back at the previous year.  I think this is a great idea, especially the looking back.  We need to take time with our children to discuss the challenges and blessings of the previous year and to point out to them (and remind ourselves) how good God is and how He has brought us through each trial and each success.

While thinking about 2013 and what goals I might want to set personally, I decided I wanted to give a "theme" to the new year.  I wanted a word that would sum up my goals and plans well and could serve as a reminder to me of what I want to accomplish in my homemaking for 2013.  I settled on this word -  SIMPLIFY.  

  • I want to simplify my schedule and routines
  • I want to simplify my meal planning and shopping
  • my hospitality
  • gift giving 
  • our belongings

In 2013 I'm planning to serve more meals of soup and bread and enjoy simple dinners.  I'm going to shop less often and get better at making do with what we have.  I'm going to give thoughtful and simple gifts.  I'm going to simplify the things I do and how I do them and while I'm at it I will simplify our closets, the toy box, the garage, and our other belongings too.  You can't organize clutter so I'm going to try to make sure we don't have a lot of it.  Yes, another tall order but I think it will feel really good to simplify as much as I possibly can.  I would also like to work on being a better friend, a better wife, and a better mother.  I want to feast on the word of God, instead of snacking on it, and I want to pray more, a lot more.  Most of all in 2013 I pray that I will love God with all my heart, my soul, and my strength.   I pray the Lord will help my heart and give grace so that I will serve Him and love Him and obey Him.  I pray 2013 will be a year lived by His grace, for His glory.

Happy first day of the New Year!  2013 is here!  Let's get started! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...