Thursday, April 10, 2014

Motherhood is Hard - Press On with Eternal Perspective

Today I sat down with my laptop and pulled up my blog for the first time in almost a week.  I have so many things I'd like to write about but such little time.  I noticed when I logged in I had 30 posts in my drafts.  I was surprised to find 30 different posts started, but never published.  That's a lot!  I saw this one from a year ago and decided to click on it and see what it was all about.  It seemed fitting to publish today. Apparently I was preaching to myself and right now I could use a little bit of that.  


Motherhood is hard.  Anyone who tells you differently is wrong.  And really, who would tell you that?

Motherhood is a lot of work, super rewarding, but a lot of work.

I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything in the world.  Ever.  Even on the hardest days.

Right now my house is a total disaster and there are dishes in my sink.  I just changed a stinky diaper.  My laundry pile is high.  My to-be-folded pile is higher.  And there are dozens of items waiting to be ironed.  I've been up since 6:30 a.m. yet I'm still in my pajamas.  I've already seen two boys out the door to work, loaded up one sick boy with ibuprofen and reminded a whiner not to whine...numerous times.  Yesterday we conquered three appointments (two being to the dentist...no cavities!).  Today we must reload our food supply as it is empty again and make a couple more appointments.  Sunday at church I left the service just in time for my toddler to puke outside the church doors.  I let the kids eat pizza again last night and I'm feeling guilty about that.  I have not one clean bathroom.  In the last week we've visited the pediatrician, eye doctor, and dentist.  We've managed to work in some school and a field trip.  We are practicing music, practicing kindness, and I am currently practicing not yelling (see THIS).

Motherhood is hard.  Did I already say that?

If you work each day taking care of your children and your husband and your family you will be tired, and sometimes you might be overwhelmed.  When you're working every day in the trenches of motherhood you may think you are not making a difference for eternity but YOU ARE.  Rocking babies, folding the laundry, teaching children to read and putting dinner on the table is important work and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

A while back I received a series of anonymous comments full of false accusations and lots of insults.  My husband and I were accused of having too many children and having them too young (we were 23 and 24 when we had our first child by the way).  Sometimes the comments that have been written to me get down in my heart and hurt my soul.  I have to go to God in prayer on the hard days and ask Him to help my heart.  I have to search the scriptures for truth when the voices of the naysayers are pouring into my inbox and my mind.  Can I just take a moment and encourage you to do the same?  When things get you down and your mind gets muddled up - go to God, and to His word.  His word is truth.

I'm an imperfect mother.  I'm trying really hard but I make a lot of mistakes.  Here's what I know:  When I mess up I can ask for forgiveness.  My mistakes offer me an opportunity to tell my kids of God's forgiveness and  point them to Jesus.  We are a family full of sinners and we all know it.  We live and grow by God's grace.  Thank you, Lord!

If you are overwhelmed, as I am sometimes, stop and pray.  Know that patiently teaching your children will yield far better results than a clean house.  When other voices come in telling you something contrary to the word of God, go back to the bible.  Children are a gift from God.  The fruit of the womb is a REWARD.  When you feel like you just can't get mothering right, remember that God gave your children to you and He will supply all that you need to be their mother.  Don't give up.  Don't throw in the towel.  Each day you can plant seeds for eternity.  Keep loving and forgiving and teaching and praying.  Some days will be hard, really hard.  Ask God for the help you need.  A mother's love and hard work are invaluable in the life of a child. Point your children to Jesus.  The laundry and the cleaning and the cooking and the errands have to be done, but don't lose sight of your real purpose.  Glorify God by loving your children and shaping their hearts for eternity.

Motherhood is hard, but so is anything worth doing right.  Press on with eternal perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...