Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Suppertime Favorite...



This recipe, with the funny name, has been a favorite of my family for more than 15 years.  I stumbled across it in a magazine (back when I would tear out pages of magazines and save them - before Pinterest) while in my early years of homemaking.  One night, just for fun, I gave it a whirl and wouldn't you know my family LOVED it.  At that time I was feeding a hungry husband and a couple of baby boys.  These days I'm still feeding my hungry husband, in addition to a bunch of big boys and a couple of sweet little girls.  All these years later our family still loves Beef Boogie Woogie.  It is a simple recipe to throw in the crock-pot but it tastes oh soooo good!  The aroma of the kitchen as it cooks all day is ahh-mazing, too!  
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine ( I use 1/2 cup water)
  • 2 lb beef chunks for stew
  • 8 oz mushrooms
  • 1 pkg beefy onion soup mix
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 8 oz baby carrots
Whisk mushroom soup, wine, soup mix and thyme in a 3 qt or larger slow cooker until well blended.  Add remaining ingredients and stir until well coated.  Cover and cook on high 4 hours or on low 8 hours.  Serve over egg noodles or rice.

And just so you don't think every meal here is "picture perfect" here's what I did to the peas last night...


I ran upstairs to help the little girls get going on their baths and this is what happened.  One of my older boys (who shall remain nameless) said, "I smelled something burning and I was wondering if I should come tell you."  Thanks.  {teenager}.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...