Monday, May 20, 2013

Another Reading Recommendation

Good morning and happy Monday!  

Doesn't the weekend just get by soooo quickly?  

I spent the last few days soaking up the goodness that was the Teach Them Diligently convention.  I gleaned so much from the speakers and look forward to sharing with you in the coming days what I have learned.  This convention had major impact on our hearts.  Not only my husband and I, but our sons too.  Our boys attended several sessions on their own and each time we would meet up they would be excited to share with us their thoughts and their notes. It made for great conversations at meal time and on our drive home.  We were certainly blessed by our time at the convention, to say the least! 

We will not hide them from their children; 
we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, 
His power, and the wonders He has done...
so the next generation would know them, 
even the children yet to be born
and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God 
and would not forget His deeds
but would keep His commands.
Psalm 78:4, 6, 7

I will be writing from my convention notes soon, but for today I wanted to give you my reading recommendation (since it is Monday morning, y'all!).


Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson.  



I've had this book for many, many years.  I first heard of it when my boys were very little.  I ordered this book, read it, and loved it!  Several years later I was digging in the free bin at a local bookstore and found another copy!  I grabbed it out and it wasn't long before a friend was at my house discussing homeschooling and I was able to give it to her.  (By God's grace we've had some amazing finds in the free bin but this was definitely my best find ever!) 

The reason I am recommending this book to you...

The timing of this recommendation is very interesting.  Like I've already said, I love Educating the Wholehearted Child but also, I just spent the weekend hearing Clay and Sally Clarkson speak.  Much of what they taught came from this book and I was reminded again how powerful the home-centered learning approach is for raising godly children.  This learning approach provides a natural way to disciple and to educate your children and the Clarkson's book helps give parents practical ways to make it happen.  This is the first book I recommend when someone comes to me and inquires about homeschooling.  If a mom is considering home education for her children but is afraid she just can't do it, I always recommend that she read Educating the Wholehearted Child.  Reading this book will help you come away from trying to replicate the classroom in your home and will take you to a place of using whole books and real life learning instead.  

Here's what you will find inside...

Home Education...A Step of Faith Toward Home

Discipleship...Shaping Your Child's Heart

Education...Strengthening Your Child's Mind

Teaching Models...Learning At Home, Naturally

Teaching Methods ...Instructing Your Child

Learning Styles...Understanding Your Child

Home Management...Getting It Together

Lifestyle...Making It Work

Support...Keeping It Going

Inside the cover of this wonderful book you will find scripture, inspiring quotes, practical ideas, recommended reading, help for combining discipleship and education, lifestyle suggestions, teaching methods, reproducible forms for planning and records, and tons more.  Whether you are brand new to homeschooling or you have been at it a while you are sure to benefit greatly from reading the Clarkson's book.  It truly is, in my opinion, the handbook for Christian home education.

If you are so inclined, you can order here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...