Tuesday, July 14, 2015

All About the Bathroom



I figured I was just the person to write a post all about cleaning the bathroom since I recently spent several days cleaning mine.  Well, not really several days.  A couple of hours each day for several days. 


As most of you know, I had a baby six (almost seven) weeks ago.  My bathroom wasn't perfectly clean when I left for the hospital and had not been touched since I came home.  I mean, I picked the wet towels up out of the floor and threw them in the wash and the trash can was emptied regularly, but that was about it.  

Who has time to do anything in the bathroom when you bring home a new baby?  I consider my time in the bathroom a success if I'm able to shower and brush my teeth.  It's a bonus day if there's time to shave my legs.  (If it were any other season than summer I probably wouldn't bother.)  

I've been busy.  Not my typical busy - new baby busy - and if you are a mom you know what I mean.  My priority has been nursing an infant, a hungry little infant I might add, and taking care of the rest of our 9 member family.  It hasn't been having a clean bathroom, or a clean anything for that matter.  

Maybe it should have been...  :)

I started cleaning my bathroom on Saturday.  Those of you with me on facebook probably thought I was kidding when I said I was going to post a picture when I was finished.  I wasn't.  I literally had to give myself that push to make me get moving on it.  The bathroom had gotten so bad I just couldn't get excited about cleaning.  (Crazy as it sounds!) 

So...here's the finished job.  I'm pretty proud!  The after pictures would mean more if there were before ones as well.  I thought about taking those but I just couldn't.  

I worked on this bathroom Saturday, and Monday, and Tuesday.  For your enjoyment I'm including a bathroom check-list as this really helped me.  

One thing I've learned is to break tasks up into smaller tasks.  It really is the only way to get big jobs done.  I knew it was going to take several hours to clean that bathroom so I kept waiting until I had a day with several hours to clean.  That day never came, and probably won't for a long time.  I finally decided to try to spend an hour or two here and there until I got it all done.  That worked.  I found little chunks of time when I could work while baby napped and everyone else was situated for a bit.  Try breaking your bigger tasks up into smaller ones and see if that helps you.  It did me!

Bathroom Cleaning

  • Pick up clutter
  • Take dirty towels to laundry area
  • Put rugs in the washing machine
  • Scrub tile and grout
Here's one of the reasons my chore took so long.  This shower! 
It's a monster if you let it get out of control.  I will never do that again. I use Crown Cleaner in here, (and bleach when necessary), and a vinegar/water mix on the glass doors.  Had I taken a before picture you wouldn't have been able to see anything.  The soap scum on those doors had made for plenty of privacy.  



  • Swiffer/vacuum floors
  • Spray and wipe mirrors (I do love vinegar for this.  I mix one part vinegar with two parts water in a spray bottle.)  
  • Clean sink
  • Clean tub
  • Pour bleach in toilet bowl and swish around, wipe outside of bowl
  • Wipe off windowsills and scale

  • Empty trashcan
  • Clean inside of medicine cabinet or drawers (I took everything out of the drawers and used a vacuum cleaner attachment and then a damp cloth to wipe down the inside of the drawer.  It had been a long time since I had done this and oh, what a difference it makes.)

  • Wash shower curtain and/or liner if you have one
  • Mop floor (I always leave the mopping for last and back my way out of the room with a damp mop.)
I cannot end this post without introducing you to my new cleaning companion.  Maybe you two have already met but if not, you need to!




This is Scrub Daddy.  If you don't have one you might want to get one.  I love my Scrub Daddy!  I'm even thinking about doing a giveaway here on the blog.  I have a lemon scented yellow one I'm using in my kitchen and this green one is for my bathrooms.  If you want to know more go to scrubdaddy.com.   

And one more picture, just because...


He's the reason I fall behind on my cleaning duties and he's the most wonderful reason in the whole world!!  If you have one of these at your house know that the time with your tiny baby will pass very quickly but the cleaning will stick around.  Enjoy the baby snuggles while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...