Tuesday, February 3, 2015

SUPER (batter) BOWL Football Cake and a recipe from Weeknight Dinners



I think I mentioned the other day that my girls were planning to make some football cupcakes for the Super Bowl.  Well, we changed that and decided to make a football cake instead.  I realize the Super Bowl is over, for this year anyway, but I thought I would share this simple little cake we did for those of you who might want to make one for a birthday party or team party or some other football event. 

I've mentioned before, I am not a professional cake maker.  I'm not even very good at it.  I just enjoy trying fun little cake ideas and since my kids are easily impressed there's no pressure for anything elaborate or fancy.  You can make this cake easily with basic ingredients and little time.  I baked the cake before we left for church Sunday morning and put it together in just a few minutes Sunday afternoon.  


If you decide to bake your own football here's what you'll need:

1 box (18 to 19 ounces) cake mix, any flavor
2 cups chocolate icing
small amount vanilla icing

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour batter bowl, or spray with non-stick vegetable spray.  Prepare cake mix according to package directions, pour batter into prepared batter bowl and bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean.  



Cool cake in bowl on cooling rack 15 minutes, then invert bowl on rack and leave in place 3 to 4 hours for cake to release from bowl.  Cool thoroughly before decorating.  




With serrated bread knife, trim wide end of cake to make a flat surface for cake to rest on.  Turn cake over to rest on flat bottom and slice in half vertically from narrow end at top to wide end at bottom.  Arrange halves on cake board with the two bottom surfaces pressed together.  Spread with chocolate icing.




I used a lot of extra icing in the middle where the two sides are matched up and put a rough coat of icing all over.  One thing I like to do before I start is put wax paper under the edges of the cake.  When I am finished with the icing I can slide the wax paper out from under the cake and my cake board is mess free.  



A little trick I've learned for making a smooth finish is to use the edges of a sheet of paper.  Just drag it along the cake and your icing will smooth right out.




I used green icing to make "grass" around the football.  You could also tint some coconut green and use that for your grass.  The last thing you'll need is a tiny bit of white icing to make the laces.  







This little cake is simple and fun!

Since today is Tuesday I chose a recipe from the Tuesday is Tex-Mex Night section of Weeknight Dinners for today's recipe.  If you haven't entered to win the drawing for this fabulous cookbook make sure you do that today!  You can enter to win by "liking" Homegrown Cozy on facebook, or by becoming a member of this blog.  Just leave a comment letting me know which one you did.  (Even if you are already a follower just leave a comment letting me know you would like to be entered in the drawing.)  For an additional entry in the drawing share any post from the blog on facebook, pinterest, or your own blog/website.  Each time you share that is an additional entry in the drawing.  Just don't forget to let me know what you did so I can put another entry in for you.  Thanks so much!!

Now, for today's recipe...

Fiesta Chicken Soft Tacos

2 T. oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 to 2 T. taco seasoning mix
1 1/2 c. chunky salsa
4 6 inch flour tortillas
Garnish:  shredded Cheddar cheese or other favorite toppings

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add onion, green pepper and garlic; saute until tender.  Add chicken; cook until no longer pink, about 5 to 8 minutes.  Stir in taco seasoning and salsa; simmer for 3 minutes.  To serve, spoon mixture onto tortillas.  Fold over once; garnish as desired.  Makes 4 servings.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...