Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hello, 2014.

I've always been a list maker and New Year's Day is no different.  In fact, two of my favorite things to do on New Year's Day are to make my list of goals for the coming year and to fill in our new family calendar to hang in the kitchen.  After filling in all of the dentist and doctor appointments we've already scheduled for 2014, and the birthdays of our family and friends, and all the other stuff we've committed to, I decided I would really like to keep those blank spaces blank - which brings me to my first goal for this upcoming year.  (I only have three goals because I'm keeping things short and to the point.)

Do less.  Less doing and more being.  I want to cut down on all the things I do and spend more quiet time praying, reading, writing, and enjoying our children. 

Simplify.  I have this wonderful/terrible ability to make everything overly elaborate and complicated.  I really want to scale back and slow down and simplify everything I do.  I'm talking meals, schoolwork, birthday celebrations, cleaning, everything.

Love.  What my family needs from me is love and that's exactly what I want to give them in 2014.  They don't need more nagging and fussing so I'm going to do a lot less of that.  I intend to be more gentle and thoughtful and much more loving.  I really don't want to be a noisy gong or clanging cymbal you know.

There you have it, my goals as we enter this new year.  What about you?  How do you find yourself starting 2014?  Happily optimistic?  Scared or afraid?  Burned out or fed up?  The start of a new year is a perfect time to do things a little differently, make some plans, and get going.  Perhaps this is the year you want to get really organized with your homemaking or the year you decide to move on from the hurt you've been lugging around or the year you decide to get out of debt (we are working on that too).  Whatever your plans and goals are just know you can do all that He has called you to do.  How do you feel about 2013?  Did you blow it, have any regrets, make mistakes?  (Me too!)  Don't allow discouragement to prevent you from finding joy and fully trusting in our great God.  With Him, all things in 2014 are possible. 

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress, My God in whom I trust!"  For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper, and from the deadly pestilence.  He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark.  Psalm 91:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...