Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Laying Down the To-Do List

I learned a great lesson the other day.  And I'm glad I did.

Your children are not interrupting your work.  Your children are your work.

A little girl, not feeling well said," Mommy I want you to hold me".  I would have, but the kitchen was a mess and I needed to get that cleaned up first.

Same little girl, short time later, "Mommy, my head hurts.  Will you hold me?"  "Yes, sweetie.  I will in just a minute.  I'm going to run upstairs and move the laundry.  I will be right back".

Laundry moving, kitchen cleaned, living room picked up.  Little girl, "Mommy, when are you going to hold me?"  I answered, "Just a second".

Several chores later, "Mommy, you said you would hold me.  I don't feel good".

Finally, I sit down in the old most comfortable chair and the little girl climbs on my lap.  She curls into me and looks up with big green eyes and says, "Thank you Mommy."  {Oh, my heart.}  She doesn't move, just closes her eyes and smiles.  She's warm.  I kiss her head.  Her hair smells so sweet.  I look at her little feet curled up.  She is so content.  Why did she have to wait so long?  Why didn't I stop what I was doing?  My work can wait until later.  She needs me.  I must remember to lay down my to-do list for my children.


1 comment:

  1. Ugh. This is so hard for me. I constantly feel pulled between both - home work and kid work. When I am working on the house/laundry/cooking/cleaning/shopping...I feel bad for neglecting my littles. When I am playing, bathing, feeding, holding, reading to my littles, I feel the anxiety rising of other work undone. It always feels like the other work is going to get overwhelmingly behind or my kids are going to be neglected. It is hard to find the balance every day. Tell sweet Olivia I hope she feels better and to keep asking to be held:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...