Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Family Schedule

Here is our new schedule.  This school year is quite different than last year.  Last year our baby was nursing every few hours but this year she is walking around getting into all of the interesting things she can find.  We always make a new schedule at the beginning of the school year but often times we tweak it after a few weeks in.  This schedule seems to be a pretty good fit for everyone so far. 




6:30 a.m. Mom's wake-up time, shower and dress.
Getting up before the children makes such a huge difference in my day.  I like to shower, get dressed, and make my bed first thing.
7:00 a.m. Start laundry, make coffee, Bible and prayer.
I start a load of laundry first thing in the morning.  Next I head to the kitchen and start my coffee.  Must. have. coffee.  I sit down for a few minutes to read my bible and pray before I start waking kids up.
7:30 a.m. Kids' wake-up time, shower, make beds and chores.
The children get dressed and make their beds.  A few boys shower in the morning.  All of the children have chores and they get started on those.  The kids get all the chores done quickly while I diaper and dress the baby.
8:00 a.m. Breakfast
I like to read to the kids while they have breakfast.  This doesn't always happen but I try to make it happen most every morning.  Right now we are reading a book on manners and we always read from Psalms.  Ethan cleans the kitchen after breakfast.
8:30 a.m. Bible
For Bible time everyone reads their bibles independently.  After the day's reading is done the older 3 boys work on Balancing the Sword and the younger kids do catechisms and work on their AWANA verses.
9:00 a.m. School
From 9-12 we do Math, Language Arts, and Writing.
12 noon Lunch
It is our goal to take 30 minutes for lunch.  This does not always work out perfectly but we try to keep it at that.  Colin cleans the kitchen after lunch.
12:30 p.m. School
From 12:30-2:00 we do History (M,T,W) and Science (R,F).  We also do read aloud time.
2:00 p.m. Nap for little ones, more school for older kids.
Here's when the kids work on special assignments and projects, book reports, etc.  I work one on one with each child.  They also do their reading assignments during this time.
(3:00 on Thursdays-music lessons, leave our house at 2:20)
4:00 p.m. Free time
The children usually head outside, unless it's raining.  I sometimes go with them, other times I stay inside and work.  Our older 3 boys run several miles every day and they usually go running at this time.
5:00 p.m. Dinner prep
If I really want to keep the evening on schedule I will start dinner prep at this time.  I really like to put dinner in the crock-pot in the morning and if I've done that it makes dinner prep easy.  I usually have one child in the kitchen with me.  They take turns setting the table and helping with meal preparations. 
(5:45 on Wednesdays leave for AWANA - we eat dinner early.)
6:00 p.m. Dinner
Everyone sits down together for dinner and it is my favorite part of the day.
7:00 p.m. Baths
The girls get their baths and our youngest boy gets his shower during this time.  Nic cleans the kitchen after dinner and either my husband or myself will help him with that, (whichever one of us is not bathing the girls).  The other 2 boys usually take the dog on her evening walk.
7:30 p.m. Family Worship Time
We do Bible study, prayer, family meeting, games, and read aloud during this time.
9:00 p.m. Kids' bedtime
Lights out for the kids!  (A few exceptions on this for special occasions.)
11:00 p.m. Parents' bedtime
 One of my goals for this school year is to get to bed at a decent hour.  I have a habit of staying up very late and that's just not good for a mama of 6.  


Linked up with Women Living Well
Raising Homemakers and
A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...