Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Where Have I Been? Getting Organized!

After a couple of weeks of not blogging I am ready to get going again.  Life has been challenging recently and I needed some time to get myself moving in the right direction.  (more to come on that later.....)

Currently I am reading MORE HOURS IN MY DAY by Emilie Barnes.  I'm excited about all that I am learning (in some cases re-learning).  I want to share some of what I am learning since I think it is helpful to all of us who are working at home.  

One of my favorite chapters is "A Daily Plan".  Ahh.....that's what I need to keep up with everyone and everything!  And with that plan, I need a gentle and quiet spirit which is so precious to God.  (*re-learning, AGAIN!  God is patient with me.) 

Here is a Sample Daily Routine: 

A.  Start your day the night before

     "She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.  She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.  Her lamp does not go out at night."  Proverbs 31:17-18   (She is energetic, a hard worker, and watches for bargains.  Go couponers!!  She works far into the night...that doesn't leave time for laying around at night watching tv!)

Gather, sort and wash laundry.  (my washing machine only sleeps when I do)
Set the breakfast table.  (I have found I love doing this before I go to bed)
Lay out vitamins in individual cups.
Set up coffeepot for the morning.
Make a "To Do" list for what must be done for the next day.

B.  Get up early 

     "She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens."  Proverbs 31:15 - (Getting up just one hour earlier makes a HUGE difference.  If you normally get up at 6:30, try 5:30.  You will be surprised at what a difference that one hour makes in your day.  By the way, I am still working on this!)

Make the bed.
Shower/Get dressed.
Do hair and makeup.
Personal devotion time.
Put in first load of wash.

C.  Advance to the kitchen

     "She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness."  Proverbs 31:27 - (She watches carefully all that goes on throughout her household, and is never lazy.)

Rejoice that the table is set!
Cook breakfast.
Call everyone to the table with a 2 minute warning.
Serve everyone once and sit down yourself (Don't be a short-order cook.)
Remind everyone to take vitamins.
Review each person's day.
Have everyone take their dishes to the sink.
Put all the dishes in the sink to soak in hot water (or load into dishwasher).
Quickly put away all perishables.

D.  Say farewell to the family  (Or, say farewell to your husband!  Emilie Barnes did not write her book with homeschooling in mind but I think this part of the daily plan is still useful for those of us who are homeschooling.)

     "She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."  Proverbs 31:26 - (When she speaks, her words are wise and kindness is the rule for everything she says.  I want the children to remember me as a smiling mother and not a screaming shrew.)

See if your husband has any needs.
Check each child's room with him or her. (Remember it's not what you expect, but what you inspect!)
See that the bed is made and clothes are hung up or in the hamper.
Check the bathroom for dirty clothes and for cleanliness.
Compliment the kids on how well they have done something.
(Here Emilie Barnes says to send them off with a loving hug.  I would send my honey off with a loving hug and get the kids started on their morning chores.)

E.  Get to work

     "She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong." - She is energetic and a hard worker!

Put in a second load of wash.
Do the dishes.
Do any advance dinner preparation - here's where I am pulling out my crock- pot most days!
Clean up the counters
Water plants
Spend 15 minutes doing general housecleaning in some area of your home.  (It's surprising what you can do in just 15 minutes!)
Start children with morning devotion/school work.  (The school day schedule is going to look completely different for each family so I am going to let you fill in here what yours would look like.  My opinion is that school functions the best when there is a schedule of exactly what we are doing and when.  We've tried it different ways and we are the most productive with a detailed school day schedule.)

F.  Prepare the home for the evening

     "She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.  Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:  Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all."  Proverbs 31:27-29

Light a fire and candles (seasonal)
Prepare munchies if dinner is a bit late: veggies & dip, crackers & cheese, etc.
Set the table.
Prepare yourself: freshen makeup, check hair. (This may seem funny but I have had several older ladies share this advice with me and Emilie Barnes suggests this as well.)
Start thinking toward a quiet and gentle spirit.
Organize the children as best you can.
Be ready for husband's arrival.
Always meet him.  Get yourself to the door with a hug and kiss and a smile. 
Do not share the negative part of the day with him until after dinner.
Enjoy your family dinner!

Bath routine for younger children.
Family devotions/Games. 
Bedtime routine (Different for each family, we read books and pray.)

3 comments:

  1. So happy I found your blog - I just subscribed (a rarity for me!).

    It is...well...just so cozy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this post up in a tab all day. What a great one! I think I'll make my own schedule also, and I thought it might be fun to do a meme where moms posted their own customized schedule. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post. I like it! You and I are definitely alike in our love of structure. Thanks for this biblical explanation:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...