Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Zucchini Bake

We've been so blessed this summer with garden goodies.  The best part?  Someone else did all the work!  Our friends have supplied us with deliciousness from their gardens and we have enjoyed every single bite of their generosity.

Most recently a neighbor gave us some zucchini.  I usually make zucchini bread but I was kind of in the mood to do something else.  I googled some zucchini casserole recipes and ended up making a variation of my own by combining several of the things from the different recipes.  I'm calling it Zucchini Bake.  I made it for dinner Monday night and it was really, really good.  The whole family liked it - everyone asked for seconds.  You must give this a try!

Ingredients:

2 large zucchini or maybe 4 small/med ones.

I used these.



2 (or more) tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 (or more) tablespoons sliced green onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese 
2 (or more) cups Mozzarella cheese + 1/2 cup
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 9 x 13 with non-stick spray.  Wash and cut up zucchini.  




Chop up basil and slice onions.




Combine the zucchini, basil, green onions, bread crumbs, and both kinds of cheese.  Stir together until zucchini is well coated.  Season with salt and pepper.
Put in baking dish and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.  Take the casserole dish out of oven and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.  Put dish back into oven and bake for additional 10 - 15 minutes until hot and bubbly.



This could certainly be a main dish but I served it as a side dish with fried chicken, okra, and biscuits.  I also went a little overboard with cheese.  My family loves cheese.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really good. A make a similar dish and add pasta sauce. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...