|Photo credit: Family Circle|
1 2/3 cups finely crushed Nabisco Famous wafer cookies (28 cookies)
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 tbsp sugar
3 Hershey's milk chocolate bars (1.55 oz each)
4 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/8 tsp salt
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Crust Stir together cookie crumbs, butter, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Press into bottom and up side of a 9-inch pie pan (not deep dish). Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Filling Chop 2 1/2 of the chocolate bars. Combine eggs and 1/3 cup of the sugar in a large metal bowl or double boiler. Bring 2 inches of water to a simmer in a large pot or Dutch oven. Place bowl or double boiler over pan without touching water. Cook, beating constantly with a hand mixer, until mixture is light colored and fluffy and registers 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer, 5 to 6 minutes. Watch carefully; if eggs get too hot, they will scramble.
- Remove bowl from heat. Whisk in chopped chocolate and cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Once egg mixture is cooled, combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar with the butter and salt in a large bowl. Beat on high speed until very light colored, about 2 minutes. On medium, beat in egg mixture, scraping down side of bowl. Fold in half of the whipped topping and spread into prepared crust. Refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving, spread center of pie with remaining whipped topping. Use a vegetable peeler to make large curls from reserved chocolate, or cut into shards and sprinkle over pie.
Makes 8 servings Prep 30 minutes Cook 6 minutes Cool 15 minutes Refrigerate overnight