Monday, April 15, 2013

Victory in Jesus

Yesterday I heard a fantastic sermon from the book of Joshua.  The pastor asked the question, "Are you walking in victory?" and it hit me like a rock between the eyes.  My heart sank as I admitted it to myself -
I'm not waking in victory.  I'm walking in my circumstances.  So, why?  The bible says that Jesus came so that we might have life...an abundant life!  So why am I walking in defeat?  I decided right then and there I was going to pay careful attention.  I wanted to know how to walk in victory.

Here's what I learned...

God's word must be daily bread.  We must be in the word every day as individuals and as families.

We must act on God's voice.  In other words, listen up!  Is too much noise in your life preventing you from hearing God's voice?  Maybe you (like me) need to turn down all the other noise and get to a place of quiet so that the Lord's voice can be heard.

We must be strong and courageous.  The enemy is going to try to derail us at every turn.  We must not be afraid.  The battle is won.

Obedience is required.  No explanation is needed here.  We can obey God or we can do our own thing.  The choice is ours, and so are the consequences.

We must hunger and thirst for righteousness.  Do we pursue holiness?  Do we hate sin?

The world tells us that victory goes to the strong, but the bible teaches something entirely different - victory goes to the weak.  I walk in victory when I realize how weak I am and how much I need Jesus.  I am powerless but God is powerful!  It is because of Him that I am able to walk in victory even in a storm or trial.  When we abide in Jesus we experience God's presence and are able to exercise His power!  That's awesome!

Lately I have felt hopeless to overcome sin and circumstances in my life.  Yesterday I was reminded that because of Jesus I am more than a conqueror!  What a blessing to be reminded.

Every mom has their struggle, I suppose, and I certainly have mine.  I've shared with you before how I struggle with anger.  In particular, anger with my teenagers and raising my voice.  Usually after I have lost my temper and screamed at my boys I feel sick with regret and I make up my mind that I have to do better.  I try really hard, and that works for a while, then sin creeps back in and I'm yelling again.  What an eye-opener to realize walking in victory is not about me working harder or me doing better.  It's not about me at all, it's about Jesus!  When I abide in Him, feeding (daily) on His word, listening to and obeying His voice, praying always (Ephesians 6:18), through Him I will have victory.  Praise Jesus!!

Joshua 1:7-9
Only be strong and very courageous; be careful to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go.   
This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.
Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous!  Do not tremble or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...