Monday, May 21, 2012

Reflections

Sometimes there are little things about my life as a mother that make me laugh.  I can't believe how differently things have turned out from what I "planned" as a young girl.  Praise God for His grace in my life!  I was reflecting, if you will, and I got a kick out of some of the interesting facets of my life.  (A while back I celebrated my 40th birthday and if you didn't know, birthdays are a fantastic time for reflecting!)

  • Right now at our house we have kids learning to drive and learning to walk at the same time.  
  • Next year we will plan a high school graduation party while potty training. 
  • My favorite things to do now, are things I hated as a girl. (cleaning, gardening, cooking, laundry, etc.)  
  • If I had listened to the advice of family members, half of my children wouldn't be here.
  • The subjects I didn't do well in as a student, I love teaching in our home school.
  • I just threw birthday party #62!  Yes, I have done 62 birthday parties for our kids.  You can check my math.  
  • I would rather receive 200 rolls of toilet paper, or 10 gallons of milk, than jewelry, as a gift.
  • Clothes and shoes don't excite me anymore but coupons absolutely thrill me!
  • The only material things I'm attached to AT ALL are my washer and dryer.  I spend more time with them than my husband some weeks. 
  • It turns me on when my husband runs the vacuum.  
  • My pregnancies total 4 1/2 years.
  • I've changed diapers for 12+ years.  (almost 1/3 of my life!)
  • Because of my precious 6 children I've become an expert at answering dumb questions from strangers.  I can even field birth control questions at Walmart from people I've never met.
  • I no longer consider it strange when people talk to themselves.  It seems more like a survival skill to me.
  • Before saying anything to my older sons now, I stop and think if I would want them to tell their future wives one day.  This is a new thing for me.   
  • If gray hair is a sign of wisdom, then white hair is a sign of geniuses.  And if that's the case, I am a most incredible genius.   
  • I'm able to make it without a lot of the "must-haves".  I don't need an alarm clock.  I have a baby.  Don't need a check register.  I know the balance of our checking account by heart.  It's usually a round number!  I don't need a timer when baking.  The kids camp out in the kitchen waiting and checking and checking and asking.  I don't even need Google really.  I have teenagers and they know everything. 


3 comments:

  1. What a great post. It's pretty neat to look at life and where God has placed us moms. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good you should have it published or something. I can relate on just about all of it. THings I would have laughed at and did the whole "teenager roll the eyes at" I cherish now and teach to my own children. I would probably have to add that raising my kids so differently than the way I was brought up would be at the top of my list. Yes so thankful for God's grace, love and protection! So thankful too for the things that he has shown us along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...