Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Getting Back to Menu Planning

It's been a long time since I posted a menu plan.  Actually, it's been a long time since I even had a menu plan.  Bringing home baby and moving into a new house bounced my menu planning right out the backdoor and I've been flying by the seat of my pants ever since.  Today I decided enough is enough and decided to set things right.  Much of the desire to set things right came from a nice long chat (sitting on the deck drinking coffee *smile*) with my husband this morning.  We were discussing children, schedules, money, and all other romantic topics 2 parents of 6 kids can think up.  He is the voice of calm when I am losing it a little bit, which I was this morning (losing it, that is).  He reminded me that our family does best when we schedule and plan and in order to right some wrongs we would have to do better with that.  So...I'm getting back to meal planning.  I made my list, gathered my coupons and headed out to the store right after our little chat. 

Here's my dinner plan. (We've already eaten the first meal but I wanted to give you the full week.)  
 Monday:  Chicken Fettuccine and green beans
Tuesday:  Tacos with all the fixins
Wednesday:  Chili, cheese & crackers
Thursday:  Sloppy Joes, tater tots, carrot sticks
Friday:  Beef Stew, cheddar garlic biscuits
Saturday:  Homemade burritos, chips and salsa
Sunday:  Homemade chicken salad, croissants, fruit

I'm going to use my crock-pot for every meal this week except Sunday's chicken salad.  Days seem to run so much smoother when dinner is cooking itself in the crock pot by mid-morning. I feel more organized and on top of things just by knowing I have a plan.  It's funny the little things that make a big difference.  Meal planning and having a schedule are 2 of the biggies for me!  So on that note, I have to get back to work on our family schedule the romantic man on the deck asked me to work on.  Here's a favorite crock-pot recipe before I go......

SLOPPY JOES

Brown 3 lbs ground chuck in skillet; pour into colander and rinse well.  Put into crock-pot.  Add: 2 onions finely chopped, 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped, 2- 8oz cans tomato sauce, 1- 8oz can water, 2 packages of sloppy joe seasoning mix, and salt to taste.  Cover and cook on low for 5 - 6 hours.  *Note:  If too liquid, remove cover and set on high for 30 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about meals. It can make my afternoon so stressful when I don't know what to make for supper. Planning ahead is the only solution. I love your crock pot idea. It is such a blessing and time saver. And oh, the peace of mind knowing supper is cooking! thanks for sharing your encouraging ideas. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted a similar post on the Homemaking link-up! Too funny! I agree though, it is much easier when things are running smoothly- dinner is cooking and you can focus on other things. Or at the very least, you know the plan for the day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...