Sunday, January 16, 2011

Making a List and Checking It Twice

Anyone who knows me knows I am a list maker.  I make lists of the lists I need to make.  :)  Maybe it's my ongoing quest to be super organized, or my type A personality, or my OCD, but whatever it is... I love to make lists!

Every morning I make a list of all that needs to be done for the day. I have an ongoing list of things we need from the store.  I have a list of school books and school supplies the children are in need of.  I have a list of chores for the kids and a list of daily cleaning tasks for the house.  I list all of the meals I'm going to make and I keep a list of projects that need my attention as well as a list of thank you notes I plan to write.  I list scripture I want to memorize, and bills that need to be paid and, of course, I have a "honey do" list for my husband.  (I try to keep it light!)   During the Christmas season I add several more lists to my list making!  

Just the other day I thought of a new list I'm going to try.  Instead of just a "to-do" list for each day, I'm going to  make a list at the end of each day of what I got done.  Now, if you are not a list making gal like myself this will probably make little sense to you and you might want to pass on this post and read the next one.  But, if you are a list maker then maybe you will like this idea as well as I do!! 

Many times I overdo it writing out my daily "to do" lists and I find myself discouraged at the end of the day that I didn't get every single thing on my list done.  What I have been thinking about though, is that I am probably getting way more done than I realize and perhaps it would be helpful to take a look at all I did get done at the end of each day.  It's definitely something I'm willing to try.

So, if you want to join me in this, make a list at the end of the day of all you got done during the day.  (You might even want to show it to your husband!)  I'm thinking for me it may look something like this...

had personal bible time
put dinner in crock-pot
fixed breakfast
had morning bible time with kids
did math with all 4 boys
3 loads of laundry washed and dried
read 2 chapters of Moodys aloud to kids
graded Language Arts for all boys
fixed lunch
flash cards with Eli
read to Olivia before her nap
did science lesson with younger boys
had Eli read aloud to me
wrote out bills
finished 2 thank you notes
grocery store & post office
took 2 boys to soccer
fixed dinner
younger kids baths
gave Nic a haircut
family devotion
cleaned up downstairs
graded older boys' work
mopped kitchen

Now if I look at my end of the day list I can see that I did accomplish a lot and then I just transfer the unfinished items from today's list to my list for the next day.  If there were calls I needed to return and I didn't get that done I can just put it on tomorrow's list and not beat myself up about it.  One look at my end of the day list and I will be reminded that I have gotten a lot done.  If for some reason my list doesn't look like I am getting a lot accomplished then I will simply look at where my time is being spent and what might possibly be wasting any of it.  Moms have to be on guard against any time robbers, with the phone and computer being at the very top of the list!  (oops, did I say list?)    

Take a look at all you ARE getting done and fight off any discouragement you are feeling about what you didn't get done by making a list each night of everything you got accomplished.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised at all the work you did!!!

Colossians 3:23-24  Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men; knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance.  It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. 

Psalm 16:1-3  The plans of the heart belong to man, But the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.  All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, But the Lord weighs the motives.  Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...