Saturday, October 16, 2010

THE KEY TO A GENTLE AND QUIET SPIRIT

1 Peter 3:4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. 

- mild of temper
- soft
- gentle
- not easily irritated
- not giving offense
- contented
- peaceable, rest in the Lord
- not turbulent

Jesus is our ultimate example: Matthew 11:29 "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." 

Moses as an example: Numbers 12:3 Now the man Moses was very meek, more than all people who were on the face of the earth.

The Key - Personal daily alone time with The Lord

Luke 10:38-42  Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village.  And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house.  And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to teaching.  But Martha was distracted with much serving.  And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?  Tell her then to help me."  But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary.  Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."

Robbers of a meek and quiet spirit

- Fear
- Worry
- Anger
- Depression
- Disorganization

God can teach us how to deal with fear, worry, anger, disorganization and depression.  The key is daily time with Him.  As we work at home there are many important things that we must do to take care of our husbands, and children, and homes, but the good portion that cannot be taken away from us is the time when we are sitting at the feet of Jesus. 

Philippians 4:6-7  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

1 comment:

  1. I just happened upon your blog and I'm so glad I did because it is a lovely blog. I love this post, anything about being meek and quiet I just drink up because that is an area I am constantly working on. 1 timothy 2:2 says to "Lead a quiet and peaceable life"- and that is posted right on my fridge where I see it all the time. So thank you for a wonderful post. Oh and your recipes look wonderful, nice and easy- just the way I like them!
    I'll be back for sure,
    Julianne

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...