Monday, December 22, 2014

Monkey Munch



We started making some of our favorite Christmas goodies today.  The holidays sure sneak up quickly, don't they?

We've been making this for close to 20 years and it is one of the things the kids look forward to most.  We only make it at Christmas time so that makes it extra special.  I was reminiscing today as I looked at my little tattered recipe.  I can remember, when our boys were just babes, cutting this recipe out of a magazine.  Remember when you did that - before Pinterest?  I still have that little magazine clipping and for some reason it warms my heart when I pull it out each year.  

The kids have almost always helped me mix this up but today one sweet boy asked to do it all by himself.  I was happy for him to do it.  I have more than enough to-dos on my list and I'm happy when someone wants to take something off my hands.  

Oh, and I should tell you, the official name for this is Chex Muddy Buddies.  I named it Monkey Munch the first Christmas I made it because at that time I always referred to our children as my little monkeys.  They gobbled this stuff up so quickly it would just disappear.  The name stuck, and all these years later they are still devouring it. 

Monkey Munch




9 cups Corn, Rice, or Wheat Chex cereal
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup margarine
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar




Put cereal in a large bowl and set aside.  Microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute.  Stir.  Microwave for about 30 seconds longer until smooth.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.  Pour into 2-gallon resealable food storage bag. 



 Add powdered sugar.  Seal bag; shake until well coated.  Spread on wax paper to cool.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  



Merry Munching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...