Thursday, August 22, 2013

2013 - 2014 Education Plan

For the first time in a few years I will only have four students in our home school.  Our oldest has graduated and our youngest is only two.  The two year old gets to do her share of coloring, puzzles, and play dough but she is not an official student quite yet.

I'm often asked questions about who is doing what and which curriculum I like for this and that.  I thought today I would lay out this year's plan here.

Ethan (16) 11th grade:
Bible - Balancing the Sword  (Wolfe)
English - Literature of the American People  (A Beka)
Writing - Institute for Excellence in Writing
Geometry - Saxon
Chemistry - Chemistry Precision and Design (A Beka)
US History - BJU Press
Spanish - Rosetta Stone
Guitar

Nic (14) 9th grade:
Bible - Balancing the Sword  (Wolfe)
English - Themes in Literature, Grammar and Composition (A Beka)
Writing - Institute for Excellence in Writing
Algebra  - Saxon
Science - Science of the Physical Creation in Christian Perspective (A Beka)
World Geography - World Geography in Christian Perspective  (A Beka)
Keyboarding - Writing Skills/Keyboarding Skills  (King)
Health/PE - Health in Christian Perspective (A Beka)
Spanish - Rosetta Stone

Eli (11) 6th grade:
Bible - Studying God's Word  (Trulson)
Language Arts - Alpha Omega LIFEPAC Grade 6, Spectrum Phonics Grade 6
Math - Saxon
Science - Christian Kids Explore Chemistry  (Redmond)
US History - Notgrass
Writing - Institute for Excellence in Writing
Spelling - Alpha Omega
Art - Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade - DVD

Olivia (7) 2nd grade:
Bible - Jesus Calling  (Young)
Language Arts - Alpha Omega LIFEPAC Grade 2, Spectrum Phonics Grade 3
Math - Saxon
Science - Christian Kids Explore Chemistry  (Redmond)
US History - Notgrass
Spelling - Alpha Omega
Art - Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade - DVD

We are going to start the school year with a unit study on The Civil War.  This works nicely with the fact that it is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Chickamauga and the fact that we live in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  There are a lot of special activities and reenactments going on in our city this fall.  I had planned to do this unit study last school year but we ended up doing other things.  I'm glad things worked out as they did since there are so many things having to do with the Civil War that we will be able to take advantage of over the next several months.


Click here for more information.

What plans are you conjuring up for the new school year?

2 comments:

  1. We are going to do a big study on the Civil War too. With History being our favorite subject around here, these re-enactments will be great. Trying to plan our schedule around doing as much of it as we can. Are you using any textbooks with your unit study? We have got a bunch of books we are going to read together and some separately too. I want to do a big timeline and then we have some other ideas too. Morgan is leading our History for this year so she is looking forward to all of it. I like to add good movies or documentaries when I can. There is so much that is Civil War time but has too much other garbage in it so we can't watch it (North and South). We have Shenandoah and enjoy it (one part is just too much so I always skip it). If you have time maybe you can share some of your ideas. This is the time period I really wanted to do a group co-op type study but I didn't get my act together and plan it, oh well maybe next time. I think we might try to blog weekly about what we've done in our studies each week. I've always wanted to do that so we have a visual of what we have done each week but since I rarely blog that might not happen either. Time to get busy, hope you all have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have purchased a few things and I've borrowed some things from the library. I will have a post up in a few days of what we are using and you are welcome to borrow anything that's mine. We are really looking forward to this study and like I said I'm glad the timing worked out as it did. There are going to be a lot of neat opportunities over the next few months.

      PS - Do you have free access to the public library? For us, a library card costs $85 and that's only for one year!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...