Thursday, July 11, 2013

Dawna's Oreo Dessert

I've been thinking a lot about my dear friend Dawna lately.  Just this morning my sister and I were discussing kids - and all things related - and I remembered that many years ago my friend Dawna and I would trade kids one day a week.  She has 3 children and at that time I did too.  Mine were one, three, and five.  Hers were three, five, and seven.  We would take turns keeping each other's babies while we cleaned house.  One week she would have them to play at her house and I would clean, clean, clean.  The next week hers would be at my house and we would play, play, play.  Those were some good days...drippy Popsicles and swing sets and bubble swords.  Now we each have a high school graduate and she has one already two years into college. Back then we lived just a few miles from each other.  Now we live in different states many miles apart.  I think back fondly on those days.

I was also thinking of Dawna Monday night as I made her dessert.  Around parts of Virginia she is famous for this bit of Oreo heaven.  I don't know what would happen to her if she showed up at a church potluck without it, but I know it wouldn't be pretty.  Folks go to the dessert table first, before the main food line, just to make sure they get some of Dawna's Oreo Dessert.

I'm so glad she shared her recipe with me some 15 years ago.  Now I am going to share it with you.  This is THE perfect summertime dessert.  Don't you just love some sweet frozen goodness during the summer? YUM!



25 - 28 Oreo cookies (crumbled)
8 oz cream cheese
2 cups confectioners sugar
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 cup milk
1 16 oz container Cool Whip
1/2 - 1 cup chopped peanuts


In large mixing bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, peanut butter, and milk - whip together.  Fold in Cool Whip.  Crumble Oreos in 9x13 cake pan.


Pour mixture over cookies.


 Top with chopped nuts and freeze.



(You'll notice I didn't use chopped nuts.  Packages of chopped nuts at the store are expensive and I just don't chop my own.  Ain't nobody got time for that - lol!  This dessert is just as delicious with regular cocktail peanuts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...